1. What are you reading right now? Tell us about it.
The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri. I’m not that far into it so I’ll let you tell Goodreads tell you about it: Growing up in Calcutta, born just fifteen months apart, Subhash and Udayan Mitra are inseparable brothers, one often mistaken for the other. But they are also opposites, with gravely different futures ahead of them. It is the 1960s, and Udayan–charismatic and impulsive–finds himself drawn to the Naxalite movement, a rebellion waged to eradicate inequity and poverty: he will give everything, risk all, for what he believes. Subhash, the dutiful son, does not share his brother’s political passion; he leaves home to pursue a life of scientific research in a quiet, coastal corner of America. But when Subhash learns what happened to his brother in the lowland outside their family’s home, he comes back to India, hoping to pick up the pieces of a shattered family, and to heal the wounds Udayan left behind–including those seared in the heart of his brother’s wife.
2. Out of the 16 books that will be turned into a movie adaptation, which one are you most looking forward to seeing this year?
Serena by Ron Rash! I just finished the book and loved it. I imagined Jennifer Lawrence as Serena the entire time (but could not see Bradley Cooper as Pemberton). Gone Girl is the one I am next most excited about followed by The Fault in our Stars and Divergent.
3. What was the worst book you’ve ever read?
I am halfway through God-Shaped Hole by Tiffanie DeBartolo and I kind of hate it. But I want to finish it since I’ve gotten this far. Usually I don’t continue to read books I hate…
Edit: After reading other posts, I have remembered some books I can’t stand: Paper Towns, 13 Reasons Why, Beautiful Creatures, Eat Pray Love…
4. What foods or beverages have you spilled on a book while reading? Anything good?
Nothing I can recall…
5. Do you picture characters as popular film or TV actors? Or do you create a whole new person in your head?
I always create someone in my head, unless I’ve already seen the movie based on the book or the movie has been cast (like Serena).
6. Out of all the authors you’ve read books by, who’s brain would you want to pick the most?
I don’t know what to say to authors when I meet them!