1. Best book you read in 2013?
It is really hard to choose just one but I think I’m going to have to go with Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick.
2. Book you were excited about and thought you were going to love more but didn’t?
Where’d You Go, Bernadette? by Maria Semple and Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion.
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?
I read two juvenile (not even YA) novels that I loved… Wonder by R.J. Palacio and The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate.
4. Book you recommended to people most in 2013?
Probably The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom because it seems like one most everyone would enjoy.
5. Best series you discovered in 2013?
The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan with The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson as a close second.
6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2013?
Anyone with the last name Moriarty! I already discovered Liane in 2012 when I read What Alice Forgot and this year I read The Husband’s Secret. This year I discovered Jaclyn (A Corner of White) and Laura (The Chaperone).
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
I definitely did not think I would like historical fiction set in the 1920s but I loved The Chaperone!
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2012?
Orange is the New Black by Piper Kerman and My Name is Memory by Ann Brashares are probably the two that I read the fastest (1-2 days).
9. Book you read in 2013 that you are most likely to re-read next year?
I don’t re-read.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?
I like the Insurgent and Allegiant (by Veronica Roth) covers.
11. Most memorable character in 2013?
Pat from Silver Linings Playbook.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?
My Name is Memory.
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?
The One and Only Ivan probably made me cry the most!
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?
Silver Linings Playbook since it was five years old!
15. Favorite passage/quote from a book you read in 2013?
“Love who you love while you have them. That’s all you can do. Let them go when you must. If you know how to love, you’ll never run out.” –My Name is Memory
“I suppose a fire that burns that bright is not meant to last.” –Allegiant
16. Shortest and longest books you read in 2013? (P.S. Someone should tell you that you can sort your books this way on Goodreads!)
The Surrender Tree: Poems of Cuba’s Struggle for Freedom by Margarita Engle (169 pages) and Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick (640 pages).
17. Book that had a scene in it that had you reeling and dying to talk to somebody about it (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc.)?
Duh… The end of Allegiant.
18. Favorite relationship from a book you read in 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc.)?
How about the most unique?! Melanie and Wanderer in The Host by Stephenie Meyer.
19. Favorite book you read in 2013 from an author you read previously?
Sisterland by Curtis Sittenfeld.
20. Best book you read that you read based SOLELY on a recommendation from somebody else?
My Name is Memory! I just read it last week after a book blogger recommended it.
21. Genre you read the most from in 2013?
Over half of the books I read were juvenile or YA fiction! (Partly because I took a children’s literature class in the spring.)
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?
R from Warm Bodies, Park from Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell, and Elliot from A Corner of White.
23. Best 2013 debut you read?
Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight.
24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
A Corner of White.
25. Book that was the most fun to read in 2013?
Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling
26. Book that made you cry in 2013?
The One and Only Ivan.
27. Book you read in 2013 that you think got overlooked when it came out?
My Name is Memory… I had never heard of it!